Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"'Tis the Season" Waaaait a Minute!

I am sitting in Starbucks, which apparently has decided there is no such thing as Thanksgiving.  The Christmas holiday, however, is in full swing.  I'm not sure why corporations feel the need to blow past Thanksgiving. I suppose it has something to do with capitalizing on Christmas, but I gotta think the fall blend of espresso is just as popular around Thanksgiving, and is more in keeping with the tradition of Thanksgiving ending the fall season.  Call me crazy.  However, the hypocrite in me got a Grande half-flavored Peppermint Mocha w/whip, because that red board filled with white letters and outlined with white snow drifts and fir trees just called out to me. "Don't drink the usual Cinnamon Dolce Latte, Kari!" it said. "No! Drink this lovely, half dark chocolate and half peppermint latte.  It truly is Christmas in a cup!"  I fell for it. Hook, line and sinker.  What a lovely latte it is, too.

I suppose I should be thanking Starbucks. Their blithe avoidance of the Thanksgiving holiday certainly puts into sharp focus the fact that Christmas is right around the corner and I've bought all of zero gifts.  Hmmm. Holiday shopping. Not my favorite thing to do, and certainly no fun when you are broke. Thankfully, Jace is fully stocked for toys. He may get some play food for his kitchen and some more Melissa & Doug puzzles.  Beyond that, we (Mommy and an unaware Jace) are planning on donating all of the *crap* that comes with Christmas stockings and presents from relatives who don't know what is developmentally appropriate, but don't ask Mom what would be desirable either.

Mommy, on the other hand, could use a clothing spree.  How is it that I am still wearing jeans that I bought 9 years ago?? Well, I only wear those around the house. However, there are many more that are at least 5 years old. I think I've purchased 2 pairs of Jeans since before I got pregnant with Jace... we're talking 4 years!  Oh, and forget cute winter sweaters.  I haven't bought a nice winter top in well over 4 years. Most of my tops include plain, long-sleeved tees. No embellishments, no cute designs, all very "I don't go anywhere or do anything" looking.  Motherhood certainly killed my sense of fashion!  For the past 3 years its been all about utility. Time to be trendy again!!

Well, back to the daily grind. 3 more weeks until the semester ends. I can't wait for a break!!

All the best,
mom2jace

2 comments:

  1. Ah! My sentiments exactly! The only reason I have any fashion right now is because I had to buy maternity clothes. (yeah- I thought I was "done" after Ruthie and ditched the full panel pants.)
    and after the baby, I'll go back to the peanut butter and jelly stained "I don't go anywhere or do anything either" tshirts and the jeans that make me look like a mom trying to suck my post-baby gut in.
    Sigh

    oh- I think corporations skip Thanksgiving because being thankful is not nearly as profitable as making consumers think they must have Christmas In A Cup.
    Now I'm craving a gingerbread latte! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's OK, look at me, I'm a hypocrite changing my page to Christmas colors. I just *love* Christmas.

    ReplyDelete