Monday, December 13, 2010

Under my D/HH-CI Kiddo's Christmas Tree...

So this season, the whole summer and fall, in fact, have been really good to Jace and I. We finally got his SSI approved in July after 1.5 years of waiting; He received his second cochlear implant in August and connected with it almost immediately, which helped him connect to his original he'd received nearly a year prior; He began preschool at a wonderful d/hh-integrated school in a classroom that has an interpreter, an OT, a SLP, and a teacher who knows Spanish, English & Sign Language; We began receiving his SSI payments in October which allowed me to quit working and focus on finishing my Bachelors and take care of Jace; We've been allowed to live with my parents who have been absolutely wonderful about us being here, staying as long as we want, and who even hint at me having another baby about as frequently as they know I can stomach it (Immaculate conception, anyone? No? OK, not happening anytime soon, then!).

We are blessed. Even if it can be very difficult at times with Jace's OT & D/HH issues and dealing with pretty much no income (SSI is only $440/mo if anyone cares to know... Thats about $100/week, and I AM responsible for my own bills, my and Jace's needs, and our food still), we are very blessed to have a warm home, comfy beds, a loving family, and no major concerns.

We made out pretty well for Jace's birthday with a toy kitchen, a train table with train set, an activity table (easel and white-board) and a set of play tools.  For Christmas, I really want to beef up his manipulative toys and things that can be used for learning routines and boosting language. We truly have hit a language explosion, and I want to capitalize on that as much as possible.

So, all of that said... Here is my son's list, which I've pretty much filled already:
M&D See and Spell Puzzle
M&D Bear Family Dress-Up Puzzle
M&D Food Groups Food Set
M&D Decorate-Your-Own Teddy Bear Bank
M&D Puzzle Storage Rack
LeapFrog Leapster Explorer Learning Experience - Green (will have to get the camera attachment, carrying case and charging base next month)
Circo Boys Will be Boys Bed Set
Learn to Dress Jake Doll
Pretend and Play Cooking Set
M&D Magnetic Pattern Block Set


The last three items are "I hope we get those from family" items. I'm pretty sure that if we don't we will be buying them the day after Christmas ;)  I've asked for no "junk" gifts, and made it quite clear that if any toys come that make lots of noise, they will be sent home with the giver with the power switch stuck in the "On" position and a fresh set of batteries super-glued in.  :) :) :) My parents are lucky enough to live with us, so they have reinforced this request. Haha!


----

Now for the un-Christmas-related stuff:
I just finished all of my finals, term papers and projects this weekend. It felt so good to be done with classes and be able to sit around watching the Indiana Jones marathon.  I've never seen those movies!  I found out today that I received all A's, which I am unbelievably ecstatic about!  I even have a 99.25% in one of my courses!! I have a 96% and a 91% in the other two courses.  I'm hoping this helps me get more scholarships next year, although I don't believe online courses are eligible for scholarships. I'll have to chat with my guidance counselor about that. I'm very excited to have only 5 courses left after this Spring. I will be applying for entrance into my Masters program in just one year!! If I keep up all A's, I don't think it will be too difficult to get in. Just need to write a couple of killer essays.

I don't plan to be on here again anytime soon. This week is Jace's final week of preschool until January 4th, so we're going to spend some serious one-on-one time together before my unbelievably packed schedule next semester takes over my life and keeps me from spending good time with him. Its only one semester. We can do this!

Until next time.... All the Best!
mom2jace

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kari, you are SUCH an inspiration, in so many ways! Jace is VERY blessed to have a mama like you. And way to get those killer grades at school! I would wish you luck as you continue, but the last thing you need is luck with the genius that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I just saw this!
    thank you so much! I really am not doing more than any other mommy. We all have our kiddos and then the things that keep us busy when they're sleeping, LOL :)

    ReplyDelete